Study mode: Blended Learning | Location: Pinewood Studios | Duration: 1 Year | Start Date: September/October 2018
Module 1 – Research Techniques & Dissertation
Module 2 – Professional, Collaborative & Entrepreneurial Skills
Module 3 – Narrative Techniques for Screenwriting
Module 4 – Script Development: HETV Pilot
Module 5 – Script Development: Feature Film
Example module content
- Script evolution through the years
- Essential reading material
- Finding your own style
- Genre & Theme
- Initial Idea
- Loglines, Taglines & Synopses
- Earning Money as Readers
- Development Executives
- Analyse Other People’s Scripts
- 12 months
The MA Screenwriting will be entirely based at the world famous Pinewood Studios, home of Bond and Star Wars and is made up of three distinct elements:
- During the first term, which runs from September to December, you will learning core principles of screenwriting and key roles in the film industry, and how these apply to enhance the potential and general production values of each individual project.
- During the second term, which runs from January to May, you will work with industry experts to develop more focused skills on the practical duties involved in the development of a complete, one-of- a-kind feature film script or series bible. You will also develop personal entrepreneurial skills to understand about the different working options for screenwriters and how to utilise them in a professional environment. You will also learn how to effectively submit the material to industry professionals including producers, directors and sources of finance, and what is expected from you at a professional level.
- In the third term at Creative Media Skills, which runs from May until September, you will work both personally and collaboratively to produce the final draft for the feature film or series bible presented in previous terms, or a dissertation on a chosen subject.
“At this moment in time, the Creative Industries and particularly the Film Industry is bigger and better than it has ever been, however there are still huge skills shortages. It is therefore of the utmost importance to focus on the future generation of filmmakers, cultivating new talent and ensuring the industry is open to a wide and diverse pool of people across the UK and Internationally.”
Andrew Smith, Director of Corporate Affairs, Pinewood Studios.
This MA is entirely industry led; you will meet and learn from some of the most recognised and actively working screen writers, script doctors and producers. This will enable you to focus on both building contacts and learning cutting-edge techniques. This MA will provide you with a practical understanding of the production of industry-approved skills, as well as creating pathways into the industry.
- The UK film industry currently contributes £7.7bn to the economy (ref 1), currently employing 80,000 people with over 30,000 new opportunities over the next few years (ref 2).
- MA courses will welcome exclusive groups of 18 students max. to ensure valuable contact time with tutors
- Since incorporation in 2012 Creative Media Skills have trained crew members who have worked on many of the major international blockbuster films and high-end TV productions made in the UK such as: Star Wars The Force awakens, Rogue 1, Spectre, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Game of Thrones, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic World 2, Star Wars the Last Jedi, Marco Polo, Outlander, Jason Bourne, Pan, Wonder Woman, Ready Player One, King Arthur legend of the Sword, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Poldark, The Queen Doctor Dolittle, Mary Poppins, Solo a Star Wars Story to name only a few.
Places are limited and subject to validation.
Who is this for?
Duration: One year full-time
Term dates: Please see full term and graduation dates for 2018/19 and 2019/20 here
Start Dates: November 2018 or September/October 2019
Course leaders and key speakers: Each term is led by a combination of course leaders and key speakers from our line up of industry experts. These industry experts are all keen to ‘up skill’ the new generation, and most importantly to sustain what makes the UK such a desirable place to film, our World Class crew and their standards and traditions. Our constantly growing bank of tutors have worked with legendary directors such as Lean, Spielberg, Fellini, Kubrick to name a few, and their knowledge is unsurpassed.
Structure: 3 semesters of 12 weeks | 2 full – eight hour days per week of classroom study and independent learning hours.
Travel and accommodation: Student accommodation locally is available along with campus facilities for those travelling from central London there are various means of travel available including shuttles.
Campus Facilities: There are a number of campus facilities available to you when enrolled onto this course such as the student union, gym, libraries and more click here for more details
Interview required: Yes
We welcome applications from mature students with non-standard qualifications and recognise all other equivalent and international qualifications
You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:1 minimum) in a relevant subject. If you do not have any formal academic qualifications but do have experience in the industry and previous training in a relevant area, we will consider your application on an individual basis. We are very open to those who show relevant experience useful to the degree.
We are happy to consider equivalent qualifications from anywhere in the world.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.
Career Opportunities: Screenwriter / Script Editor / Script Reader