MA Prosthetics & Sculpting
The MA Prosthetics & Sculpting is designed to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and experience to work in this sectors either in the UK or internationally. The programme combines a core set of skills with direct experience working alongside industry professionals, learning some of the detailed skills required to work at the highest levels of excellence while connecting with fellow students from other disciplines as well as industry employers.
The programme is focused on approaching graduates to the context of internationally funded films, in particular to the FX Prosthetics & Sculpting departments, with a practical understanding of the skills required to produce top level large scale industry-approved results. You will also gain practical insights into personal entrepreneurial and portfolio skills in order to improve employability and help foster a long and successful career.
Study mode: Blended Learning | Location: Pinewood Studios | Duration: 1 Year
Module 1 – Historical and Critical Context
Module 2 – FX & Prosthetics Essentials
Module 3 – Advanced Prosthetics & Character Design
Module 4 – Professional & Entrepreneurial Skills
Module 5 – Final Project & Dissertation
Example module content
- Mixing, Colouring & Casting Silicone Prosthetics
- Application & Finishing Techniques
- FX Sculpting (casualties & Character MU prosthetics)
- Character Skills (Bald Caps, Laying on Hair, Ageing)
- Script Breakdown and working with script supervisors (large scale)
- Continuity and working with script supervisors (large scale)
- Budgeting and working with producers (large scale)
- 12 months
This MA Prosthetics & Sculpting has been specifically designed by and is led by industry employers, whose credits include: Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypto, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Game of Thrones, Darkest Hour, Mad Max: Fury Road, to name a few. The MA will be entirely based at the world famous Pinewood Studios, home of Bond and Star Wars and is made up of three distinct elements:
- During the first term, which runs from September to December, you will work on the core principles of top end FX Makeup, Prosthetics & Sculpting, from idea to realisation, going through some of the key skills required to design and produce high-standard prosthetics and its usage for the creation of unique, one-of-a-kind characters for films and HETV. You will also develop knowledge on how the Makeup & Prosthetic and Sculpting department operates and workshop & film set etiquette for large scale international productions. You will also work with both makeup designers and producers, to understand the ‘ins and outs’ of pre-production and how a proper assessment at this stage can save time, money and resources. You will develop you knowledge of script breakdown, budgeting, continuity, team management and crewing up.
- The second term, which runs from January to April, is entirely focused on equipping you with a range of specialist and essential skills needed for developing high standard characters that could be part of any production in the UK and internationally. You will gain knowledge in Hair punching, Bald Caps, Laying on Facial Hair, Ageing, among others. You will also develop personal entrepreneurial skills and how to utilise them in a professional environment, as well as understanding about the different working options available in your field and how to present yourself to employers whether they be Heads of department, Producers, Directors or cast.
- In the third and final term, which runs from May until August, you will work both personally and collaboratively to produce a series of unique finished results from design to realisation, encompassing all elements learned during the 3 terms. You will be pre-producing and producing 2 unique characters, having to manage your own time and set up. You will have to design your characters, arrange your models, workshop space and everything that entails this job, and you will be assessed on the overall process, not just the finished result. You are also asked to realise a final Thesis on a subject of your choice that encompasses all the elements learned throughout the year.
This MA is entirely industry led, you will meet and learn from some of the most recognized and actively working makeup designers, FX Makeup artists, Sculptors and producers in the industry. This will enable you to focus your time on building contacts, while learning cutting-edge FX makeup and sculpting techniques for creating unique characters, sculptures and models. The MA will provide you with a practical understanding of the production of industry-approved techniques, as well creating pathways into the industry.
- The UK film industry currently contributes £7.7bn to the economy (ref 1), currently employing 80,000 people with over 30,000 new opportunities over the next few years (ref 2).
- MA courses will welcome exclusive groups of 18 students max. to ensure valuable contact time with tutors
- Since incorporation in 2012 Creative Media Skills have trained crew members who have worked on many of the major international blockbuster films and high-end TV productions made in the UK such as: Star Wars The Force awakens, Rogue 1, Spectre, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Game of Thrones, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic World 2, Star Wars the Last Jedi, Marco Polo, Outlander, Jason Bourne, Pan, Wonder Woman, Ready Player One, King Arthur legend of the Sword, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Poldark, The Queen, Doctor Dolittle, Mary Poppins, Solo a Star Wars Story to name only a few.
Places are limited and subject to validation
Who is this for?
Duration: One year full-time
Term dates: Please see full term and graduation dates for 2018/19 and 2019/20 here
Course leaders and key speakers: Each term is led by a combination of course leaders and key speakers from our line up of industry experts. These industry experts are all keen to ‘up skill’ the new generation, and most importantly to sustain what makes the UK such a desirable place to film, our World Class crew and their standards and traditions. Our constantly growing bank of tutors have worked with legendary directors such as Lean, Spielberg, Fellini, Kubrick to name a few, and their knowledge is unsurpassed.
Structure: 3 semesters of 12 weeks | 2 full – eight hour days per week of classroom study and independent learning hours.
Travel and accommodation: Student accommodation locally is available along with campus facilities for those travelling from central London there are various means of travel available including shuttles.
Campus Facilities: There are a number of campus facilities available to you when enrolled onto this course such as the student union, gym, libraries and more click here for more details
Interview required: Yes
Portfolio Required: You will also need a high quality portfolio according to the course guidelines as part of your application
We welcome applications from mature students with non-standard qualifications and recognise all other equivalent and international qualifications
You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:1 minimum) in a relevant subject. If you do not have any formal academic qualifications but do have experience in the industry and previous training in a relevant area, we will consider your application on an individual basis. We are very open to those who show relevant experience useful to the degree.
We are happy to consider equivalent qualifications from anywhere in the world.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.
Career Opportunities: Prosthetics Supervisor / Prosthetics Technician / Senior Prosthetics Artist / Prosthetic Artist /Junior Prosthetic Artist /Make-Up Designer /Make- Up Supervisor /Make-up Artist / Prosthetic Supervisor / Make-up Assistant / Crowd Supervisor