MA Period Hair and Wigs
This new and revolutionary qualification is designed to equip you with the knowledge, skills and experience to work and develop your career in the film and High-end TV (HETV) sectors either in the UK or further afield. The course combines a core set of skills in the area of hair & wigs for film and HETV with direct experience working alongside industry professionals, learning some of the detailed skills required to develop industry-standard styles and characters, as well as practical insights into personal entrepreneurial skills to foster a successful career.
Study mode: Attendance | Location: Pinewood Studios | Duration: 1 Year | Start Date: September/October 2018
- Module 1 – Historical and Critical Contexts
- Module 2 – Period Hair & Wigs
- Module 3 – Period Hair & Wigs II
- Module 4 – Professional and Entrepreneurial Skills
- Module 5 – Final Project & Dissertation
example module content:
- 18th Century
- Setting Techniques
- Usage of Wire Cages
- Hair Pieces
- Edwardian (Early and Late)
- Products, Tools & Materials
- Setting Techniques
- 5th to 16th Century Period Hair (Medieval & Elizabethan)
- 12 months
The MA Period Hair & Wigs will be entirely based at the world famous Pinewood Studios, home of Bond and Star Wars and is the best opportunity to refine and develop your period hair and wig skills. The programme is made up of three distinct elements:
- During the first term, which runs from September to December, you will be learning core principles of working with period hair & wigs, and how these apply to enhance the potential and general production values of each project. You will also be learning the proper steps to design hair and wigs and how important the research stages are when presenting material to producers, directors and designers.
- During the second term, which runs from January to May, you will work with industry experts to develop more focused skills on the practical duties involved in the development of industry approved techniques for both period hairstyles and wig styling. You will also develop personal entrepreneurial skills to understand about the different working options for hair & makeup artists and how to utilise them in a professional environment.
- In the third term at Creative Media Skills, which runs from May until September, you will develop a new set of techniques and skills to encompass the full evolution of period hair throughout history, and work both personally and collaboratively to produce 5 unique characters with all the skills learned throughout the year, as well as a Research Thesis on a chosen subject.
“We are delighted to have a provider such as Creative Media Skills based here in the heart of Pinewood Studios providing high level industry led training, which is targeting our greatest areas of need.” Andrew Smith, Director of Corporate Affairs, Pinewood Studios.
The MA will provide you with a practical understanding of the production of industry-approved techniques, as well creating pathways into the industry.
- The UK film industry currently contributes £7.7bn to the economy (ref 1), currently employing 80,000 people with over 30,000 new opportunities over the next few years (ref 2).
- MA courses will welcome exclusive groups of 18 students max. to ensure valuable contact time with tutors
- Since incorporation in 2012 Creative Media Skills have trained crew members who have worked on many of the major international blockbuster films and high-end TV productions made in the UK such as: Star Wars The Force awakens, Rogue 1, Spectre, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Game of Thrones, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic World 2, Star Wars the Last Jedi, Marco Polo, Outlander, Jason Bourne, Pan, Wonder Woman, Ready Player One, King Arthur legend of the Sword, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Poldark, The Queen Doctor Dolittle, Mary Poppins, Solo a Star Wars Story to name only a few. to name a few.
Places are limited and subject to validation
Who is this for?
Duration: One year full-time
Term dates: Please see full term and graduation dates for 2018/19 and 2019/20 here
Course leaders and key speakers: Each term is led by a combination of course leaders and key speakers from our line up of industry experts. These industry experts are all keen to ‘up skill’ the new generation, and most importantly to sustain what makes the UK such a desirable place to film, our World Class crew and their standards and traditions. Our constantly growing bank of tutors have worked with legendary directors such as Lean, Spielberg, Fellini, Kubrick to name a few, and their knowledge is unsurpassed.
Structure: 3 semesters of 12 weeks 2 full 8 hour days per week study at Pinewood Studios
Travel and accommodation: Student accommodation locally is available along with campus facilities for those travelling from central London there are various means of travel available including shuttles.
Campus Facilities: There are a number of campus facilities available to you when enrolled onto this course such as the student union, gym, libraries and more click here for more details
Interview required: Yes
Portfolio Required: You will also need a high quality portfolio according to the course guidelines as part of your application
We welcome applications from mature students with non-standard qualifications and recognise all other equivalent and international qualifications
You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:1 minimum) in a relevant subject. If you do not have any formal academic qualifications but do have experience in the industry and previous training in a relevant area, we will consider your application on an individual basis. We are very open to those who show relevant experience useful to the degree.
We are happy to consider equivalent qualifications from anywhere in the world.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.