HNC – Foundation Art Department for Film
This brand new and exciting HNC is designed by industry pros to introduce you to a career in the Art Department for Film
- 1 year
- student finance available
Study mode: Blended Learning | Location: Pinewood Studios & Bucks college group | Duration: 1 Year | Start Date: September/October 2018
- Technical drawing
- Layout plans and elevations
- Drawing for camera
- Camera angles and lenses
- Model making
- Lighting and colour
- Props making
- Intro to the film business and roles
- Entrepreneurial skills
- Set construction theory
- Script Breakdown
- 12 months
This brand new and exciting HNC is designed by industry pros to introduce you to a career in the Art department for the Film Industry.
Splitting your time between the Bucks College Group Amersham Campus and our state of the art studio base in the heart of Pinewood Studios you will meet and learn from some of the most recognised and actively working art department professionals across many areas, including: prop makers, set dressers, concept artists, story boarders and more!
“It adds excitement and makes the future feel more tangible”
This Diploma will enable you to develop a firm understanding of the roles and possibilities of a career in the art department for film. You will develop technical skills, whilst at the same time meet future employers and gain a real life understanding of the different options available to you in this flourishing industry.
This diploma will provide you with industry-approved skills, soft skills as well as pathways into the industry.
- The UK film industry currently contributes £7.7bn to the economy (ref 1), currently employing 80,000 people with over 30,000 new opportunities over the next few years (ref 2).
- Diploma courses will welcome exclusive groups of 18 students max to ensure valuable contact time with tutors.
- Since incorporation in 2012 Creative Media Skills have trained crew members who have worked on many of the major international blockbuster films and high-end TV productions made in the UK such as: Star Wars The Force awakens, Rogue 1, Spectre, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Game of Thrones, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic World 2, Star Wars the Last Jedi, Marco Polo, Outlander, Jason Bourne, Pan, Wonder Woman, Ready Player One, King Arthur legend of the Sword, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Poldark, The Queen, Doctor Dolittle, Mary Poppins, Solo a Star Wars Story to name only a few.
Who is this for?
Entry criteria: It is desirable for students to have attained GCSEs English but applications from candidates with good levels of literacy and numeracy will be considered. No previous qualifications are required for this course. We welcome applications from mature students with non-standard qualifications and recognise all other equivalent and international qualifications
Duration: One year full-time
Structure: 3 semesters of 12 weeks | 2 full – eight hour days per week of classroom study and independent learning hours.
Finance: Full student finance available subject to eligibility more for details click here
Interview required: Yes, a professional interview and a workshop will be required.
Places are limited
Progression: BA qualifications are available to target specific areas within the film industry you may identify for further study during this diploma.
Career Opportunities: There are many different options available to you within this group of departments and this industry led Diploma will open you up to further study or to begin a career as a trainee or apprentice for the following roles: Production Designer/ Supervising Art Director/ Art Director/Assistant Art Director/ Draughtsman/ Storyboard / Graphic Artist / Concept Artist/Art Department Coordinator/ Production Buyer/ Specialist Researcher/ Standby Art Director / Stagehand / Set finishing / Model maker/Painter / Props Master / Assistant Props Master / Standby Props / Props Model maker /Props Buyer/ Weapons foreman/ Weapons standby / set decorator/ Buyer / Assistant dresser